Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'M BACK IN SINGAPORE...

Found this super cute picture of my younger brother and my mom clowning around after having drinks at Boat Quay on her birthday 2 years ago (which explains my brother's gross-looking blue stained teeth).

...and it has never been more bittersweet coming back to this sunny island. I miss everything about this tiny island that I used to complain every single thing about. I always complained about how ridiculously humid and hot Singapore was until I realised I couldn't stand winter more than I could stand summer. I could wear 6 layers of clothes and still feel like I'm completely naked in the cold. I complained about Singapore's stupid transport system and how expensive it was until Australia made me realise how cheap Singapore was. Being in Australia put everything in perspective for me and it made me realise how fucking awesome Singapore is. We're one of the most technologically advanced countries, it puts Australia to shame, and puts many of us living in Australia feeling frustrated, amazed by how Australians are easily contented with their system when we know out there is something better than what's being offered in Australia - more advanced, more fast and much cheaper than what they are paying.

That said though, I miss my other 'family' back in Aussie. My friends who will be leaving for their respective countries and I won't be there to give a last hug and goodbye. Being all alone in a country by myself, they've made my life so much more fun, putting aside my loneliness and emptiness one's bound to feel studying abroad. The late night girly talks with Rachel and Philippa, eating toasties, drinking our tea, talking about boys. My floor's affectionate way of communicating with each other by pasting Post-Its on doors, walls and glasses. By affectionate, I mean...

Post-Its for the guy who constantly shat on the toilet ring. Yes, on the fucking toilet ring. 
Click on the pictures to fathom the affection we have for each other.

I miss cooking in the communal kitchen where it's the only place you get to see people living on your floor aside from your neighbours. It was nice, really - talking about how our day went, how difficult exams were, laughing at burnt food, chucking spaghetti sauce into someone else's or stuffing someone else's food into your mouth while they aren't looking. My corridor is never quiet, with 2 of the rowdiest and funniest boys as my neighbours. I often get flashed at in the early morning - a bare white ass in my face isn't exactly what I look forward to when I head out to the toilet after waking up in my bed hair. 

I miss everyone. 
 
Template By clever kitten | Fonts used: Arial, Trebuchet MS, Verdana